Incharge : Sh. S.K. Prasad
In Open Learning, the face-to-face contact is very limited and
the learners are at a distance and the teaching methodology is
distance education mode. In such scenario, Open Schooling has to
depend heavily on the use of Information and Communication
Technology (ICT). The use of Information and Communication
Technology (ICT) is much more relevant in case of Open Schooling by
its very character. NIOS has made the optimum utility of ICT in
almost all of its activities and programmes. Under the programmes
and activities of the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS),
Information and Communication Technology is being used as a major
strategy towards reaching the unreached and management of NIOS.
The NIOS has come a long way in the forefront of ICT since it
made a small beginning with only two personal computers in 1989.
Over the years all necessary hardware and software infrastructure
were installed for computerization of NIOS activities.
Starting with a small Computer Unit with few numbers of
computers, it has reached to the level of full fledge Computer
Division with five units within it namely
- EDP Unit
- Internet & On-line Application Unit
- Software Development and Implementation Unit
- Networking & Maintenance Unit
- On-Demand Examination Unit.
Today it is equipped with latest hardware and software. There is
Local Area Network with centralised database system with Windows
2007 professional as the basic operating system and Pentium based
Windows Server. There are two fast line matrix printers to meet the
requirements of heavy printing work of the EDP unit. Besides
Desktop and printers were provided to all the departments and
branches for their smooth and efficient functioning. All the
computers in all the buildings are connected with a high end IBM
server and Windows 2003 server Operating System and 100/100 mbps
backbone connectivity. This has greatly enhanced communication and
resource sharing among the users.
For Internet there is Internet Leased Line (ILL) of 4Mbps
installed from BSNL. With this, the access of the Internet has been
made possible round the clock through the Local Area Network. This
has greatly augmented the Information and Communication capability
of NIOS. It has also helped reaching the learners very
Another landmark was the installation of a compact integrated
Learner Support Centre (LSC) on the pattern of call centre
operational 9.00am to 5:30 PM (supported by Executive) and from
5:30 PM to 9:00 AM (Supported by IVRS) all days. It is a
Technology-assisted learner support system, which consists of a 5-7
Learner Support Executives backed by recorded information through
Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS).
Web Servers and Online Applications: NIOS is having 6 web
servers for all online applications and database with 10 Mbps
bandwidth provided to these servers.
All the Regional Centres of NIOS are provided with basic
computing facilities with 4-6 computers and 2-4 printers. The
Regional centres are also provided with ILL of 1 Mbps for Internet
access and e-mail facility for transfer of data and for smooth
connectivity with Headquarters at Delhi. The Admission and
Examination data were transferred through e-mail from the Regional
Centres to the Headquarter, which expedite the processing work
Online Facility for NIOS learners under NIOS Online
- Online Admission for Secondary and Sr. Secondary
- NIOS was one of the first educational institutions at school
level to use ICT for bringing about a major structural and
functional transformation of its basic operations of Admission,
Examination and Accreditation under the project NIOS Online
- The Project NIOS Online was launched on pilot basis in July
2007 - 30,000 admissions. Upscaled and expanded in July 2008 -
1,63,000 enrolment out of total admission of 3.70 lakh during the
2nd Phase of expanded online admission and from the Year 2010-11
100% online Admission was introduced.
- Under NIOS Online new streams of admission were opened in order
to expand the access to various category of learners.
- Online Admission - Stream 1 - For all learners.
- Online Admission - Stream 2 - For unsuccessful/failures of
recognised boards to appear in Oct- exam to save precious one
- Online Admission - Stream 3 - For unsuccessful/failures of
recognised boards to appear through On-Demand Examination System
(ODES) at Secondary Level.
- Online Admission - Stream 4 - For unsuccessful/failures of
recognised boards to appear through On-Demand Examination System
(ODES) at Sr. Secondary Level.
Advantages of the Online Admissions are as
- Independent of time and place - Anywhere anytime - Admission
Open 24x7: enhancing the access to its fullest term;
- Faster and Simpler Admission: Direct access to NIOS
- Choice of Study Centre: Freedom to select Study Centre of
- Better support services: Direct interaction of learners with
NIOS and faster redressal of all problems;
- Easy Payment: Payment of fee online through credit card else by
- Dispatch of Icard/study materials directly to the learners
- Hassle free admission procedure at a click of a button
- Learner's involvement in the process of admission and online
- Confirmation of Admission within 10 days of receipt of the
NIOS-Online Project has won the National Award for
e-Governance 2008 in the category of Excellence in Government
- Online Admission for Vocational Education - offering about
80-85 vocational courses.
- Online Submission of Examination Fees.
- Online Payment Gateway through all credit cards (Master/Visa)
of fees for various services of NIOS (Admission/ Examination/
Duplicate documents/ requisition for study materials)
- Online Registration for On-Demand Examination
- Online status of dispatch of Identity cards/study
- Online availability of NIOS course materials
- Online availability of NIOS prospectus
- Online availability of Study Centre Information
- Support through Learner Support Centre with toll free no.
- On Line Student Information System
- Admission details
- Tutor Mark Assignment
- Online Course Material
- Syllabus & Sample Question Paper
- Performance chart
- Study Centre wise list
- On Line Counseling through Ask your Teacher
- Online Accreditation of Schools/Institutions/Agencies for
becoming the Accredited Institution of NIOS for Academic,
Vocational or Open Basic Education Programme.
Areas of Applications
Over the years, all the major activities of NIOS both Academic
and Administrative have been computerized.
Student Database Management
The student's enrolment has grown remarkably over the years.
Starting with 40 thousands in 1990-91, the current enrolment during
the year 2011-12 has gone up to 470 thousands resulting into a
cumulative enrolment of about 2200 thousands. The EDP unit manages
the data effectively and efficiently database management is done
through Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) Visual FoxPro
and SQL Database Server. Various statistical reports and MIS
reports are generated and made available to the NIOS
Student Information System
Starting from registration/admission to the issue of the
certificate, all the processes are automated/computerised. The
following areas are covered under Student Information System:
- Admission in NIOS is now available round the year through
Online mode. There are different stream of admission to cater to
the different requirement of the learners.
- After the admission processing is over, the pre-examination
data preparation is done. A number of reports are printed such as
Requirement of Question paper statement, List of candidates,
Attendance sheets, etc. for the conduct of examinations.
- Result Processing and Certification
- After the conduct of examinations, the post examinations works
begins which includes Secrecy work, Evaluation work and Processing
of result. The mark sheets and the final certificates of the
students are printed with their photograph.
Computer Unit is having Training Centre where ICT training are
imparted to the staff and officials. The computer Unit has
organized various ICT Training programme.
NIOS on the Web
Internet and Web technology have proved effective in the
teaching and learning process especially in the field of Open and
Distance Education. With the help of Internet, one has access to
information around the world at one's fingertips.
The NIOS has its own web site as www.nios.ac.in and has been
developed as per the Guidelines of Indian Government Website (GIGW)
for dissemination of information about NIOS.
E-mail Id to NIOS Officials
Official E-mail Id of NIOS officers have been generated and
configured on the NIOS web site. A training-cum-orientation
programme for the same was organized to help / facilitate the
officers to access Internet & their E-mail.
A separate link "Ask your teacher" has been provided on the web
site to facilitate the student's support. Students can now directly
interact through the E-mail to the specific subject expert and can
easily solve their problems/ queries related to their subject
Different Division of NIOS
The NIOS website has been divided into following parts
- The Information Section
- About NIOS, its activities, Admission, Examinations,
Administration, Media, Seminars, workshops and conferences and
their reports, and latest happenings.
- Online Student Information System for complete information
about a learner including the Admission details, Tutor Mark
Assignment, Course Material, Syllabus & Sample Question Paper,
Previous year Question paper, Performance details.
- Other National and International institutions of open learning
and distance education and hyperlinks to those institutions.
- Services and Interactivity
- Results of NIOS examination with student's photograph
- Hall Tickets/Admit Cards of NIOS students with student's
- Student's Admission Status
- Interactivity through E-mail
- Question papers and marking schemes of NIOS examinations.
- Syllabus and sample question papers
- Tutor Marked Assignments (TMA)
- On-line Course Materials
- All course materials of are available on Internet for reference
purpose and to serve the interests of the students and
- On-Demand Examination System
National Institute of Open Schooling has been working on the
concept of On-Demand Examination (ODE) at Secondary Level since
last one and half year in the area of its feasibility and
operationalisation. The novel concept of ODE is a great step in the
direction of flexibility to the open and distance learning. This
will make the total system of examination independent of the time
frame and will help the student to take up the examinations as per
their wish and preparation. They can walk into the examination
center as and when they feel ready for the examination.
Under the System of ODE, a set of question paper having defined
number of items is generated randomly by the computer out of the
already developed question bank on the basis of question paper
design and the blue print of the subject as and when demanded.
- NIOS has operationalised On-Demand Examination System (ODES) at
Secondary in 2005 and and Sr.Secondary level in 2007.
- It has enabled NIOS students to take up examinations on any day
of his or her choice in the subject s/he is ready for.
- The question paper booklet is of equivalent standard with
public examinations of NIOS and other Boards of School
- Presently, it is conducted at NOIDA and all its Regional Centre
for Secondary and Sr. Secondary level. Supervision is done through
- Round the Year Online Admission for On-Demand Examination
- declared during every month for the exams held in the last
- It is Learner Centric Examination System available round the